Gender, Sexuality, and Capitalism
We are accepting proposals for individual papers (each lasting 15-20 minutes), full panels, hands-on workshops, roundtable discussions, readings, and artistic productions. Please see our explanations of the different presentation formats. Sessions will last sixty to ninety minutes. All presentations examining issues of gender and sexuality will be considered, but we especially welcome those focusing on questions of production and consumption. To generate some thinking, we offer the following list of possible topics for exploration, but we stress that presentations do not need to address these areas of inquiry:
- artistic and literary production
- food production and consumption
- fan fiction
- feminist consumerism/ethical consumption
- gendered advertising and marketing
- labor organizing
- workplace politics
- care work/emotional labor
Proposals must be received by Friday, Nov. 7, 2014 at 5 pm.
Proposals should consist of a single PDF or Word file containing the following:
- presenter’s name, email address, and institutional affiliation (if relevant)
- title of presentation
- format of presentation (Please consult our glossary for definitions of different types of presentations.)
- brief biographical information of presenter(s) or one-page CV (Please do not send a full CV.)
- abstract of no more than 200 words
- proposal of less than 800 words
- brief bibliography or list of sources (as relevant)
- anticipated AV needs and any other logistical or technical requirements
If you are a student, please indicate if your presentation will be drawn from work in a course or internship, is part of a thesis, or is based on independent research. If submitting a full panel, please include the above information for all presenters on the panel.
Send proposals to: Gender Studies Symposium Planning Committee firstname.lastname@example.org
The planning committee will confirm receipt of proposals. If you do not hear from the committee, then you should assume that we did not receive your proposal. Announcement of accepted proposals will be made in December. The full schedule will be posted to the website in early January. Please direct questions to Kimberly Brodkin, symposium faculty director, email@example.com.
Image Credit: “The Battle of Stonewall – 1969” by Sandow Birk